NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Activist investor Carl Icahn has purchased a nearly 10% stake in Dynegy (DYN), setting the stage for a buyout battle with private equity player Blackstone (BX) over the energy company.
A 13D filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission early on Tuesday disclosed that various funds associated with Icahn had purchased an aggregate 12 million shares, or 9.95% of total shares outstanding for $57.5 million.
In the filing, the investors said they believed shares of Dynegy to be undervalued and that they may from time to time "seek to have conversations" with Dynegy about its proposed agreement to merge with Blackstone Group. The filing further stated that the investors "do not believe the consideration agreed to in the proposed merger is adequate."Last week, hedge fund Seneca Capital also disclosed a 9.3% stake in the company. The new stakeholders are likely to exert greater pressure on Blackstone to raise its offer price of $4.50 a share for Dynegy. Dynegy was rising 0.8% to $4.75 in premarket trading. -- Written by Shanthi Venkataraman in New York
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Shanthi Venkataraman. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/shavenk. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV