NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Stocks finished modestly higher Tuesday after minutes from the Federal Reserve's last policy-setting meeting suggested another round of quantitative easing might arrive sooner rather than later.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose by 10 points, or 0.1%, to 11,020. The blue-chip index's high for the session was 11,053. The S&P 500 advanced 4 points, or 0.4%, to 1,169, while the Nasdaq closed up 16 points, or 0.6%, at 2,417.
Meanwhile, the dollar traded lower against a basket of currencies following the release of the minutes, with the dollar index down by 0.2%. The benchmark 10-year Treasury note weakened 10/32, raising the yield to 2.429%.
A new program to pump up the economy through the purchase of government debt was the focus of the debate in the closed-door meeting. However, officials did not settle on how big any stimulus program would be or how it would be structured. There were also disagreements among the members of the Federal Open Market Committee related to the timing of the move. Discussions of possible policies centered on longer-term securities.
|Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV