NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Stock futures were pointing to a lower open ahead of the release of the minutes from the Federal Open Market Committee's last policy-setting meeting.
Futures for the Dow Jones Industrial Average were lower by 27 points, or 17 points below fair value, at 10,936. Futures for the S&P 500 were down by 3 points, or 3 points below fair value, at 1159, while Nasdaq futures were off by 5 points, or 4 points below fair value.
Stocks finished Monday's session mildly higher during a sluggish trading session as investors largely remained on the sidelines ahead of the FOMC meeting minutes release and key earnings reports due out later in the week.Overseas, Hong Kong's Hang Seng fell 0.4%, and Japan's Nikkei fell 2.1% after China reportedly increased reserve requirements for six banks to damp lending and contain inflation. The FTSE in London was falling 0.4%, and the DAX in Frankfurt was down by 0.05%. Kansas City Federal Reserve Bank President Thomas Hoenig is scheduled to discuss the economic outlook and monetary policy on Tuesday morning at the National Association for Business Economics annual meeting in Denver. At 2 p.m. ET, the Federal Reserve's policy-setting arm will release the minutes from its Sept. 21 meeting. Investors will be eager to see what FOMC members said about quantitative easing and the recovery.
|Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV