Small Silver and Gold Miner Resists Buyout
Minefinders has a big gold and silver mine in northern Mexico which is scheduled to produce 1.7 million ounces of gold and 64.4 million ounces of silver over the mine's 15-year life span. The mine started production in November 2008 and marks the first big win for the junior trying to avoid becoming a take-over target.
Large-cap and mid-cap gold miners are desperate for gold as demand outpaces supply. Kinross Gold (KGC), Goldcorp (GG) and Gammon Gold (GRS) all paid up for smaller companies as a quick fix to expanding their reserve base.
With one big mine already in production and three other exploration properties in New Mexico, this $622 million company looks ripe for the buying. The stock currently has eight buy ratings, two holds and one sell with an average price target of $13.34. Shares have actually fallen 11% year to date while gold prices have rallied 20%. The stock trades at a forward looking price-to-earnings ratio of 10.12, slightly above its peers.I sat down with CEO Mark Bailey at the Denver Gold Forum to see what his exit strategy was and what the catalyst would be to shake-up the stock. I want to first go over your last quarter. You had a net loss of 1 cent a share. How come? Bailey: Well, we are still in our ramp-up period in our mine, we're still growing. It's a heap leach operation so you mine, you process, you put the material on a pad and then you have to leach it
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV