SEATTLE (TheStreet) -- Amazon.com (AMZN) plans to open an online applications store for smartphones running Google's (GOOG) Android software, the Wall Street Journal reports, citing people briefed on the Internet retailer's plans.
Amazon's entry into the mobile-applications marketplace would compete with app stores from Apple (AAPL) and Google, which created the Android operating system.
Some developers who have been approached by Amazon about the new app store said they haven't been told what the store will be called or when it might open, the Journal reports. According to an Amazon document for developers viewed by the newspaper, Amazon would take a 30% cut of app sales, with the developers keeping the rest.
Apple and Google charge the same commission fee for their stores, the Journal notes.An Amazon spokeswoman told the Journal "we don't comment on rumors and speculation." Google also declined to comment. Technology Web site TechCrunch first reported Amazon was planning an app store. -- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV