September Jobs Report: What to Expect
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Investors looking forward to exciting news from the September non-farm payrolls report on Friday may be disappointed. Most economists and analysts are expecting a performance similar to what happened last month with the private sector showing modest growth.
Private sector payrolls are expected to increase by 74,000, according to consensus estimates from Briefing.co,m after rising 67,000 in August. Estimates from economists polled by TheStreet ranged between an increase of 60,000 to 100,000. The overall unemployment rate is expected to tick up to 9.7% from 9.6%, though some experts do not rule out a higher rate as previously discouraged workers re-enter the workforce.
The market has been struggling for direction in recent days as the latest economic reports have sent conflicting signals on what to expect on the employment front.
On Wednesday, the ADP National Employment Report showed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV