NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Santa Claus is bringing jobs -- and delivering a brief reprieve from decrepit unemployment numbers in the form of holiday helpers.
Retailers will add between 550,000 and 650,000 jobs this holiday season, according to a report from the national outsourcing firm Challenger, Gray and Christmas.
Last year, 501,400 seasonal workers were hired in October, November and December, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, a 30% increase from 2008, when holiday hiring fell to a 22-year low of just 384,300 workers. Still, the figure is nowhere near 2007 levels, when 720,800 jobs were added.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV