MUMBAI (TheStreet) -- India loves small cars -- very small cars -- and automakers love India.
Small cars account for nearly three-quarter of auto sales in India, where a lot of the competition is provided by two-wheeled vehicles.
What automakers love are the bodacious growth opportunities.
For instance, auto sales in India in 2009 totaled 1.43 million, or about a tenth of the total in China. Another favorite stat: Just 11 out of every 1,000 people in India own a car.Among the companies poised to grow is Ford (F), which holds just a 1.4% market share there. So it's not surprising that Ford recently reported a 237% sales increase in India from April through September, the first half of the current financial year. Ford sales totaled 47,902 vehicles. The company is benefitting from sales of its Figo, launched in March. In September, Ford India sales rose 146% to 8,380 vehicles. Meanwhile, General Motors, whose Chevrolet brand has been in India for seven years, said its September sales rose 13% to 8,617 units, led by 2,730 Chevrolet Beats. Its Chevrolet Cruze sold 847 units. Read on for the five best-selling vehicles in India, in terms of sales through August, as compiled by J.D. Power.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV