Euro Hits Eight-Month High vs. Dollar
BERLIN -- The euro is showing no sign of running out of steam as it hits new eight-month highs against the dollar, which is being hurt by expectations the Federal Reserve will intervene to bolster the U.S. economy.
The euro, used by 16 nations, traded at $1.3980 early Thursday, up from the $1.3968 it bought in late afternoon trading Wednesday in New York.
The dollar also fell to fresh lows against the Japanese currency to 82.62 yen from 82.93 yen.
The British pound dipped slightly to $1.5886 from $1.5896.Fed members have said they are willing to offer more relief for the struggling U.S. economy. Buying government debt from banks would lower interest rates in the economy, weakening the appeal of dollar assets.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV