BOSTON (TheStreet) -- Although quantitative easing by the Federal Reserve would boost stock prices, investors are worried that the economy needs government intervention. To play it safe, here are 10 large-cap stocks that rank as analysts' favorite picks within their sectors.
Most of these stocks won't soar -- but that's the point. These 10 companies are some of the largest and strongest in the U.S. The stocks are ordered by projected upside, from modest to medium. After each synopsis are the names and tickers of three more top-rated large-cap companies in the same sector.
Top Pick: CMS Energy (CMS) is an electric and gas utility in Michigan. Second-quarter net income increased 5.1% to $82 million, but earnings per share soared 86% to 39 cents. Revenue grew 9.4% to $1.3 billion. The operating margin widened from 12% to 16%. CMS has $558 million of cash and $6.7 billion of debt, equal to a debt-to-equity ratio of 2.2. Its stock trades at a book value multiple of 1.4, a sales multiple of 0.7 and a cash flow multiple of 3.9 -- 26%, 42% and 38% discounts to utility industry averages. All 15 analysts covering CMS advise purchasing its shares.Bullish Scenario: Oppenheimer & Co. predicts that CMS Energy's shares will rise 7% to $20.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV