According to a new report from The Wall Street Journal, Apple (AAPL) will start mass-producing an iPhone that can run on Verizon's network later this year. Citing people briefed by Apple, the Journal reports that this CDMA version of the phone will have a similar design to the existing iPhone.
As reported by TheStreet earlier this year, the device contains a Qualcomm (QCOM) chip and is expected to make its debut in the first quarter of 2011. Apple is also building a new, fifth-generation iPhone, although it is unclear when Verizon will start selling the device.
Apple has had an exclusive U.S. relationship with AT&T (T) to sell the iPhone since the smartphone's launch in 2007, although talk of an iPhone selling at the nation's no. 1 wireless shop has ebbed over the past few years.Following Verizon chief Ivan Seidenberg's recent comments that a Verizon iPhone might be a more realistic option when the company gets closer to completing its 4G network in 2012, there's been chatter around Verizon selling a 3G iPad next year. Apple, which faces fierce competition from Google's (GOOG) Android operating system, recently opened up another front in the smartphone war, launching its new iPhone 4 in China. Despite some much-publicized antenna problems, Apple has described the iPhone 4 as its most successful launch ever and has already sold more than 3 million of the new phones. The tech giant's shares dipped $1.17 to $287.76 on Wednesday as the Nasdaq slipped 0.96%. --Written by James Rogers in New York. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jamesjrogers. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV