For Oils, Metals, Buy Mutual Funds, Not ETFs
To bet on the outlook for oil and metals, you can buy either commodity ETFs or natural resources mutual funds. Lately, many shareholders have preferred ETFs, which have attracted $7.3 billion in inflows this year. Mutual funds have received only $742 million. But those who favored ETFs have been disappointed.
During the past year, the average resource mutual fund has returned 12.8%, compared with a return of 0.9% for iShares GSCI Commodity Index ETF (GSG), according to Morningstar (MORN). Other popular ETFs that have lagged mutual funds in the past year include PowerShares DB Commodity Index (DBC) and U.S. Natural Gas (UNG). Besides delivering subpar returns, the ETFs have also failed to provide much diversification.
The ETFs began gaining popularity in 2007 as shareholders became convinced commodity prices would rise along with demand from emerging markets. Even if prices didn't climb much, investors figured commodities would provide diversification because that had often been true in the past. During the 1980s and 1990s, commodities sometimes rose during periods stocks languished.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV