Not only is Jaaksi the most recent executive to hit the door in the past month -- CEO Olli-Pekka Kallasvuo was replaced last month by Microsoft (MSFT) business software head Steve Elop -- but the move signals an ongoing shakeup of Nokia's troubled smartphone effort.
Jaaksi was in charge of Nokia's MeeGo devices, a joint software development with Intel (INTC) that was created to power a new line of Nokia superphones. The MeeGo devices were expected to succeed Nokia's Symbian 3 operating system and finally deliver a touch-screen controlled, Web-friendly, app-rich device to match or exceed Apple's (AAPL) iPhone and the growing roster of Google (GOOG) Android phones.
And while the move would seem to put Nokia in the market for another operating system, say the upcoming Microsoft Windows 7 system, some observers say MeeGo is still the choice.Last month, Nokia hired Peter Skillman, the lead developer behind the Palm Pre. Skillman was brought in to work with MeeGo, which is a Linux-based computer operating system. Jaaksi might be out, but MeeGo isn't, said MKM Partners' analyst Tero Kuittinen. "MeeGo is arguably superior to Android when it comes to raw number crunching in demanding 3D graphics work," he said. "I think the MeeGo commitment is too big to be reversed at this point." --Written by Scott Moritz in New York.
>To contact this writer, click here: Scott Moritz, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. To follow Scott on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/TheStreet_Tech. >To send a tip, email: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV