DVD "value packs": Sorry, Wal-Mart (WMT), Target (TGT) and Best Buy (BBY), but you're all notorious for packaging DVD and Blu-ray discs together for a low price and not offering them separately for a proportionate price. Wal-Mart, for example, is offering a Nicholas Cage three-pack featuring the money-troubled actor's work in Con-Air, The Rock and Gone in 60 Seconds for $20. Let's say that, as a consumer, you like one or even two of the three but either own or can't stand the third film. Can you buy the discs separately for less than $7 a pop? Absolutely not, but you can get Con-Air alone for $14.
What if you really liked the Jason Statham insomniac action flick Crank, but found Crank 2 somewhat lacking in substance? Could you forgo the $17.99 Blu-ray two-pack and just get the one film for a sweet $9? No, but you can totally pay that much for the Blu-ray of just the first installment ... or $22.99 for the super-sweet special edition.
We understand that without these stores pushing for bundling, there wouldn't be the evolution-proof DVD/Blu-ray/digital copy packs of movies such as Iron Man 2 or Toy Story 3, and that there's pressure to sell the mounds of crap that studios push on retailers each year. Cable stations have played their share of Caddyshack 2 just to show Caddyshack every so often, but no witting consumer will pay $12.29 for The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen when he or she knows its going for $10 in a $19.99 double pack with Entrapment.--Written by Jason Notte in Boston.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Jason Notte. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/notteham. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV