"Keep the Change": The basic premise of Bank of America's (BAC) "Keep the Change" plan is sound: Americans have a hard time saving and need help doing so. Great. Sadly, Bank of America's plan, which rounds up debit card purchases to the next dollar and deposits the difference into a customer's savings or money market account, is more of a piggy bank than a nest egg.
Words such as "automatic" and "matching" get customers' attention, but the fact that Bank of America only matches 100% of the plan's deposits for the first three months and then 5% for the duration -- with an annual maximum of $250 -- sours the pot a bit. That Bank of America's standard savings account yields only 0.05% interest doesn't help, either.
Here's an idea: Start actually saving a fixed amount of money in a separate account at, oh, ING, with an interest rate of 1.1% or greater and, instead of spending money in the hope that you'll get 502 purchases that round up by 49 cents, you stop being an imbalanced debit card junkie, save without spending and earn that $250 more quickly.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV