There is a fair amount of processing bounty by telcos -- a small percentage per transaction -- that comes from the payment service to younger customers who don't have credit cards or bank accounts. For each dollar of the mobile billing transaction, 85 cents goes to the merchant, leaving the processor and the carrier to divide up the remaining 15 cents. That compares to the 2% to 5% fee credit cards take or the 30% outfits like Facebook keep in Facebook credits, the virtual currency used in games like FarmVille.
Klebe says the average transaction is between $5 and $15 with a monthly maximum of $25. BilltoMobile's biggest merchant partner is Nexon, an online video game shop.
These mobile payment outfits face a big hurdle, though. Credit cards are by far the currency of choice in non-cash purchases, and if there's any online biller that has already made inroads above others, it's the Internet's favorite go between: PayPal. The Net payment division of eBay offers Apple iPhone applications that allow users to make mobile payments or transfer money by bumping phones together.
Telcos, it seems, will end up fighting for a very small piece of the market.--Written by Scott Moritz in New York.
>To contact this writer, click here: Scott Moritz, or email: email@example.com. To follow Scott on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/TheStreet_Tech. >To send a tip, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV