United States Natural Gas Fund (UNG) -5.7%
September was a month of upward action for most regions of the market. For natural gas, however, weakness prevailed. Although it managed to find some strength heading through the first few days, UNG was on a path by the middle of them month that would lead it to test new all-time lows.
As we head into the cooler autumn months and prepare for winter, natural gas may once again fall into favor. However, investors looking to invest in this fuel source would be better using a product such as First Trust ISE-Revere Natural Gas Fund (FCG) .
ProShares UltraShort 20+ Year Treasury Bond Fund (TBT) -2.9%As stocks faltered heading into the close of the month, investors once again returned to the safety of long term U.S. treasuries. While this aided investors holding iShares Barclays 20+ Year Treasury Bond Fund (TLT), investors holding onto inverse long term treasury funds such as TBT were left with losses. Market volatility continues to lead investors into the safety of the bond market. While TLT is effective for conservative investors, risk-seekers looking for more return may want to check out the iShares iBoxx $High Yield Corporate Bond Fund (HYG). -- Written by Don Dion in Williamstown, Mass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV