A Better Way to Play the Oil DrillersPublished 9/29/2010 12:02 p.m. EDT
The iShares Dow Jones US Oil Equipment Index (IEZ) had an impressive (if volatile) performance this morning, and the oil-services subsector looks promising in late 2010. While IEZ is leading the pack of oil-service ETFs today, I'd encourage investors to check out SPDR S&P Oil and Gas Equipment and Services ETF (XES) instead.
As a cap-weighted fund, IEZ is extremely top heavy, allocating more than 17% of its underlying portfolio to Schlumberger (SLB). In the wake of the BP (BP) disaster, it has become pretty clear that you don't want to stake all your energy exposure on one firm -- it is better to use a fund that mitigates security-specific risk.
XES uses an equal-weight methodology so that investors have minimal risk when it comes to swings in single components. XES' top five components -- Pride International (PDE), Superior Energy (SPN), McDermott (MDR), Transocean (RIG) and National Oilwell (NOV) -- comprise just 4.32%, 4.32%, 4.12%, 4.11% and 4.11% of the underlying portfolio, respectively. By spreading out assets among 27 underlying holdings, XES' construction helps to minimize the risk of blowups.
A recent report showing that crude supplies are lower than expected should continue to help energy subsectors involved with this commodity in the weeks ahead. As we move into winter and people in the U.S. begin to fire up their heating, XES should continue to benefit from the season shift as well as the lower-than-expected oil supplies.At the time of publication, Dion Money Management had no positions in stocks mentioned.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV