NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Excess supply and lower-than-expected demand have taken their toll on natural gas and the exchange-traded-funds that track it pushing the spread between March futures contracts and April futures contracts to a record low.
The spread between these futures contracts has narrowed by 93% this year to 3.6 cents per million British thermal unit indicating that a supply and demand imbalance is likely to keep prices of natural gas depressed through the remainder of the year.
On the supply side, natural gas production is at a 37-year high and shale gas rigs continue to increase which will further bolster supply. In fact, according to Baker Hughes (BHI), the number of horizontal rigs, which are mainly used in shale-gas drilling, was at a record in the past two weeks pushing overall production of natural gas up significantly. Furthermore, relatively calm weather conditions during a hurricane season that was expected to be more severe than normal, have resulted in an increase in stockpiles.
As for demand of natural gas, it is expected to be lower than that of last year during the winter months. The forces of La Nina are resulting in warmer-than-usual temperatures which are expected to be felt all throughout the Midwest, the East and the Northeast -- all key consumption regions of the country.In a nutshell, increased stockpiles, elevated production and weakened demand are expected to push winter natural gas prices down influencing the following ETFs:
- United States Natural Gas Fund (UNG)
- United States 12 Month Natural Gas Fund (UNL)
- iPath DJ-UBS Natural Gas TR Sub-Idx ETN (GAZ)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV