1. Apple Gets All Touchy About Its Precious Little iPad
Apple (AAPL) doesn't seem to have a sense of humor when it comes to the destruction of iPads. Or at least it doesn't when Cablevision's (CVC) Newsday does it to promote its iPad app. But when the New Yorker does the same, well heck, that's just funny.
launched a highly entertaining and humorous ad touting its iPad app
Regardless, according to Networkworld.com, Apple apparently took exception to seeing the iPad screen broken into pieces. An unverified Newsday insider said Apple sent Newsday and cease and desist letter. Newsday took the video down in short order.Then, this week, the New Yorker unveiled its own iPad app ad, this one featuring actor Jason Schwartzman and shot by Roman Coppola. In it, Schwartzman is seen using his iPad in the shower and even taking it for a dip in the pool -- which, and we're just guessing here, probably ain't so great for the touch screen.
But did Apple have any problem with the New Yorker's style of iPad destruction? According to a spokesperson for the magazine, there hasn't been a peep from Apple. So what, exactly is the issue here? Production values? Star power? Perhaps a certain class distinction between readers of Long Island's Newsday and the New Yorker? We're unlikely to know Apple's reasoning for such a ridiculous double-standard, but businesses eager to develop and market their own iPad apps should take note: if you're going to abuse the The World's Most Important and Precious Product, you'd better make sure you're doing it in a sophisticated, high-minded, indie-darling sort of way. TheStreet Says: Is there an app for identifying elitist double standards?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV