NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- For bank stock investors, uncertainty is now the name of the game and will likley grip the sector for the foreseeable future.
"Year-to-date, banks have been the best performing asset class; since April,
The Keefe, Bruyette & Woods bank index (BKX), which tracks the top 25 U.S. banks, is down nearly 17% since April 30 after posting a roughly 30% rise to that point.
As of this date the BKX is up roughly 8% for the yearDespite some of that uncertainty alleviating with the signing of the Dodd-Frank Act by President Obama in July and new international capital standards coming out of Basel III last month, bank stocks are still in flux. According to Jim Meyer, the chief investment officer at Tower Bridge Advisors in West Conshohocken, Pa., that's not about to be alleviated anytime soon. "There are two overriding issues with the banks right now: FinReg and the flattening yield
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV