iShares Software (IGV) About the only thing writers, TV gurus and journalists wish to talk about in tech-land these days? Cloud computing. You should pay high double-digit multiples or triple-digit multiples for names such as Salesforce.com (CRM), Rackspace (RAX) and VMWare (VMW). Really?
OK, even I offered a cloud computing, dot-com play with the First Trust Internet Fund (FDN) back in August. (FDN has rallied 15.6% in just a bit more than a month!) Yet IGV rallied for 11.7% in the same period at a fraction of the risk. Most importantly, it's nearly impossible to dismiss the attractiveness of Microsoft (MSFT), Oracle (ORCL) and Intuit (INTU) with these giants' global footprints.
SPDR Pharmaceuticals (XPH) It's true that broad-based health care has been abysmal. And even the formerly loved medical devices stocks couldn't shake the health care reform law.
Yet XPH has always been a little unique in its design. By concentrating a max of 5% in one company through equal weighting -- a lawsuit here, a patent expiration there -- they just haven't derailed the need for drugs. What's more, whereas some pharma investments tend to be caught up in distribution and pipelines, XPH has more exposure to actual researchers and developers.>To submit a news tip, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV