NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- AIG (AIG) reached an agreement to sell its Japan-based life insurance units, AIG Star Life Insurance and AIG Edison Life Insurance, to Prudential Financial (PRU), for $4.8 billion.
The deal consists of $4.2 billion in cash and the assumption of $600,000 in debt.
AIG, in a statement Thursday, said the sale of the Japanese units "represents another step in AIG's program to repay U.S. taxpayers and a key milestone in achieving a complete exit of government support over time."
AIG's has received assistance from the U.S. government totaling $132.1 billion as of June 30, according to the Associated Press.AIG said the transaction is expected to close in the first quarter of 2011. AIG expects to take a noncash goodwill impairment charge of about $1.2 billion before taxes in the third quarter from the sale. AIG said it will retain its general insurance business in Japan. Prudential, in a separate press release, said the acquired operations would increase its presence in Japan. -- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV