House OKs Bill to Counter Devalued Yuan
The Currency Reform for Fair Trade Act passed by a vote of 349 to 79. The legislation, which would still need to garner approval from the Senate, would allow the United States to take actions, such as imposing tariffs, to counter the impact of a country undervaluing its currency.
The bill calls for "United States trade law [to] be amended to clarify and make explicit that fundamental undervaluation by an exporting country of its currency is actionable as a countervailable export subsidy and alternatively can be offset by antidumping duties when injury to producers and workers in the United States is caused by such subsidized and dumped imports."
In its coverage of the vote, The New York Times said the prospects for the bill to get approval from the Senate "remain dim" and the Wall Street Journal noted that the Obama administration has kept its distance from the measure; neither endorsing or working with legislators on its structure "out of concern for being tagged as secretly approving of the move."The Democrats came out in force in support of the bill, however, with 249 of 255 coming through with aye votes, while Republicans contributed 99 ayes against 75 noes. --Written by Michael Baron in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Michael Baron. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV