The Kobo EReading Application On The Blackberry Playbook.(Photo: Business Wire)
Kobo, a global eReading service, today announced plans for its application to be preloaded on the BlackBerry® PlayBook™ tablet, giving users easy access to the Kobo experience including Kobo’s store of more than 2.2 million books.
Earlier this week, Kobo also announced plans for an industry-first social eReading application that will leverage the new BBM™ (BlackBerry® Messenger) Social Platform.
“We are thrilled to be extending our extensive relationship with RIM into the tablet space,” said Michael Serbinis, CEO of Kobo. “Readers will love the elegant design, crisp display and portable size and weight of the BlackBerry PlayBook, which is perfectly suited for long reading sessions. I am also excited by the possibilities of the BlackBerry Tablet OS, which will allow us to bring today’s bestsellers and classics, as well as other rich content, to BlackBerry PlayBook users.”
The 7-inch BlackBerry PlayBook is an ideal size for eBooks, allowing both comfort and convenience for readers. The new BlackBerry Tablet OS also features a WebKit browser engine, preferred by Kobo and used across its applications to deliver feature-rich and high-performance eReading applications.“The new BlackBerry PlayBook is a multitasking powerhouse for apps and content services and, together with Kobo’s eBooks app and service, it will provide users with an exceptional eReading experience,” said Jim Tobin, Senior Vice President, Value-Added Services, Research In Motion. “Kobo is an excellent partner for RIM given the global nature of both our businesses and because Kobo provides a great customer experience, including regionalized apps, content and pricing.” Key features of the Kobo eBook app on the BlackBerry PlayBook are:
- Integrated shopping. The Kobo store offers more than 2.2 million titles and the catalogue includes bestsellers, new releases and over 1 million free books. International stores feature region-specific content and pricing.
- Find books easily. Extensive categories and recommended reading lists help readers find their next great read.
- Choose library view. See your collection of books in a list, or on Kobo’s beautiful virtual bookshelf.
- Customizable reading options. Personalize text size, font and style. Switch between day and night reading mode or customize a specific brightness setting.
- Easy navigation. Tap to turn pages, scroll quickly through a book, or use the Table of Contents to jump between sections.
- Switch views. Kobo will automatically switch from landscape to portrait view as the BlackBerry PlayBook is turned.
- Read anywhere. Kobo also offers free reading applications for BlackBerry® smartphones, computers and other devices, which all sync together across a users account. Kobo members can pick up and read on any device without ever losing their place.
- Open platform. Kobo supports open standards, including EPUB, PDF, allowing customers to buy once and read anywhere, or read free choosing from over 1 million free titles from Kobo or visiting public eBook libraries.
- Social shopping and shared eReading will be introduced upon availability of the BBM Social Platform. Watch a video of what Kobo is planning at www.blog.kobobooks.com/BBM.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV