NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Strong capital levels and solid core earnings are two factors that banks must have if they want to participate in bank consolidation as an acquiror.
Eighteen months ago, many banks were scrambling to raise capital; now those same banks are flush with capital and searching for growth - partly through acquisitions, said Eric Heaton, managing director and co-head of financial institutions group at Deutsche Bank.
Banks will focus on growth and ultimately the viability of their business models, Heaton said, during an investment banker panel discussion at the second annual SNL Financial Bank M&A Symposium held Tuesday in New York. The panel included Heaton and four other banking experts.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV