They can only hope for the best in an industry that has lost money since the Wright Brothers first flew an airplane. Some think the historic pattern may be broken, given capacity reductions over the past few years and, so far, an unprecedented level of discipline in maintaining them.
The situation has led veteran Avondale Partners analyst Bob McAdoo to issue market outperform ratings on every network airline.
But some other evaluations are more discreet. Here is a look at analyst views on the four biggest airlines that will remain following pending mergers that would unite United (UAUA) with Continental (CAL) and Southwest (LUV) with AirTran.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV