BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- U.S. stock-market indices have been rebounding from July's lows as the American economy slowly recovers from the worst recession since World War II.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average, Nasdaq and S&P 500 are on track to deliver their best quarterly performances in a year, with wide swings that have tested investors' nerves. The Dow, the blue-chip benchmark, has gained 11% this quarter through yesterday, helping it to almost erase its second-quarter losses. The S&P 500 has advanced 2.8% this year, slowing from last year's pace. The technology-heavy Nasdaq is up 13% this month.
Here are the 10 best-performing stocks of the S&P 500 this year, so far.
10. Titanium Metals (TIE)Shares of this Dallas supplier of titanium parts have jumped 88% over the past 12 months. Titanium Metals is benefiting from renewed demand from aerospace customers. The company doubled its second-quarter profit to $19 million, or 11 cents a share, as revenue grew 3% to $212 million. Demand last year shrank as companies cut production of planes and other products. The situation has since reversed, and Titanium Metals CEO Bobby O'Brien said earlier this year that he expects sales to increase in 2010. D.A. Davidson rates the stock "buy" and expects the shares to climb 20%, to $23, over 12 months.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV