BOSTON (TheStreet) -- U.S. stock-market indices have been rebounding from July's lows as the American economy slowly recovers from the worst recession since World War II.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average, Nasdaq and S&P 500 are on track to deliver their best quarterly performances in a year, with wide swings that have tested investors' nerves. The Dow, the blue-chip benchmark, has gained 11% this quarter through yesterday, helping it to almost erase its second-quarter losses. The S&P 500 has advanced 2.8% this year, slowing from last year's pace. The technology-heavy Nasdaq is up 13% this month.
Here are the 10 best-performing stocks of the S&P 500 this year, so far.
10. Titanium Metals (TIE)Shares of this Dallas supplier of titanium parts have jumped 88% over the past 12 months. Titanium Metals is benefiting from renewed demand from aerospace customers. The company doubled its second-quarter profit to $19 million, or 11 cents a share, as revenue grew 3% to $212 million. Demand last year shrank as companies cut production of planes and other products. The situation has since reversed, and Titanium Metals CEO Bobby O'Brien said earlier this year that he expects sales to increase in 2010. D.A. Davidson rates the stock "buy" and expects the shares to climb 20%, to $23, over 12 months.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV