BOSTON (TheStreet) -- Welcome to TheStreet's first-ever FDA Drug Approval Predictions Contest.
Your challenge: Correctly predict the approval decisions to be made by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration on 11 new drugs in October. The lawyers (party poopers) won't let us offer a prize without official rules, contracts, etc., so the person(s) with the most accurate predictions will, instead, receive a hearty congratulations, a mention in a future column and bragging rights as the best FDA drug-approval prognosticator in all the land.
To simplify the contest, you have three outcomes to choose from for each drug approval decision:
1. Full Approval: The big win, meaning the drug is approved and can be marketed for sale immediately.2. Complete Response Letter: FDA has some concerns or issues (incomplete data, labeling, risk management, etc.) that prevent the drug from being approved immediately. In other words, the drug's approval is delayed for some reason. 3. No Decision: FDA chooses to extend the drug's review time, i.e., pushes out the approval decision to a later date. With the FDA looking at an unprecedented number of approval decisions in such a short time period, it won't be surprising to see some of these drug approvals delayed. The 11 drugs up for FDA approval are listed below in chronological order. Again, please use one of three choices for your prediction: Full Approval, Complete Response Letter or No Decision. To play TheStreet's FDA Drug Approval Prediction Contest, please copy the drug list, write in your approval prediction, and post your predictions using the "Add Comment" button found at the top or bottom of this Web page. You'll need to complete a short registration to post a comment -- make sure you include a valid email address so we can contact the winners. Entries received after the start of October are eligible for the contest, but you won't get credit for drug-approval decisions already made by the time your entry was received. Good luck! Pending FDA Drug Approval Decisions: Oct. 1: Hospira's (HSP) Dyloject for acute moderate to severe pain in adults. Oct. 4: Human Genome Sciences' (HGSI) Zalbin for hepatitis C. Oct. 11: Alexza Pharmaceuticals' (ALXA) AZ-004 for agitation in patients with schizophrenia or bipolar disorder. Jazz Pharmaceuticals' (JAZZ) JZP-6 for fibromyalgia. Oct. 12: Alkermes' (ALKS) Vivitrol for opioid addiction. Oct 22: Arena Pharmaceuticals' (ARNA) lorcaserin for obesity. Amylin Pharmaceuticals (AMLN), Alkermes and Eli Lilly's (LLY) Bydureon for diabetes. Oct. 28: Vivus' (VVUS) Qnexa for obesity. Oct. 29: Avanir Pharmaceuticals' (AVNR) Zenvia for pseudobulbar affect. Forest Labs (FRX) ceftaroline for Community Acquired Pneumonia. Oct. 30 Biodel's (BIOD) Linjeta for diabetes. --Written by Adam Feuerstein in Boston. To contact the writer of this article, click here: Adam Feuerstein. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/adamfeuerstein. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV