Borders Launches New E-Reader
This is the first version of the device, which launched in June, that has W-fi access. The original model had a Bluetooth sync, but users still needed to plug in the device in order to download content.
The Kobo 2 is $10 higher than the first model, but is still competitive with similar devices from rivals Amazon (AMZN) and Barnes & Noble (BKS). Amazon's basic Wi-fi-only Kindle retails for $139, while the same version from Barnes & Noble is $149.
These three major players have been battling on price over the past several months after Barnes & Noble reduced its price on its Nook to $199 from $259. Amazon followed suit by lowering the price on its Kindle by $70 to $189, before introducing its new basic model. Amazon also offers the Kindle DX for $379 from original price of $489.At the end of August, Borders dropped its price on its Kobo to 129.99 from $149.99, while its Aluratek Libre reader is now sold for $99.99 from $119.99. Aside from price, these companies have also been trying to compete on other fronts. Both Barnes & Noble and Amazon have formed partnerships with retailers like Target (TGT) and Best Buy (BBY) to carry the device. Barnes & noble has also set up special sections of stores to highlight the Nook. --Written by Jeanine Poggi in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Jeanine Poggi. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jpoggi. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV