University of Texas Shooting: Photos
(University of Texas shooter slideshow updated with images and information about the 1966 University of Texas shooter Charles Whitman.)
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- A gunman who opened fire in the Perry-Casteneda Library at the University of Texas is now dead.
The shooting called to mind the 1966 shooting rampage of Charles Joseph Whitman, who killed 14 people and wounded 32 others shooting from the observation deck of the university's tower.
Here, an armored police vehicle drives up to the library on the Austin campus where the shooting took place around 8:30 this morning. Officials said the man, armed with an AK-47, was seen wearing a ski mask and a business suit.
Police have confirmed that the shooter is dead on the sixth floor of the Perry-Casteneda Library as a result of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.No other injuries have been reported. Officials have not released the name of the suspect.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV