NEW YORK ( TheStreet) - The 10 highest-yielding mid-cap stocks rated A-minus or higher by TheStreet Ratings are trading at high levels with neutral analyst sentiment, but have growing revenue and feature attractive dividend yields.
Starting with companies with market capitalizations between $1 billion and $5 billion rated A-minus (strong buy) or higher -- and five stars for dividend income by TheStreet Ratings -- we pared down the group to the 10 stocks with the highest forward dividend yields based on the most recent quarterly payout.
Just like our 10 A-Rated Large-Cap Dividend Stocks, energy names dominate the list, with limited partnerships being featured. Total returns assume reinvested dividends or LP income distributions, although that might not be the best approach when playing energy LPs.
10. Westar EnergyCompany Profile Shares of Westar Energy (WR) of Topeka, Kan. is an electric utility company operating throughout most of Kansas. Shares closed at $24.08 Friday, for a year-to-date total return of 16%. Based on a quarterly payout of 31 cents, the forward dividend yield on the shares is 5.15%. Income Statement Westar reported second-quarter net income attributed to common stock of $53.1 million, or 47 cents a share, increasing from $30.4 million, or 27 cents a share, during the first quarter and $38.1 million, or 35 cents a share, for the second quarter of 2009. Second-quarter total revenue was $495.2 million, increasing 6% year-over-year as retail sales increased and total operating expenses declined slightly. This was because of accounting changes and a lowering of environmental remediation costs associated with assets the company previously sold. Balance Sheet Westar Energy's ratio of debt to capital is 0.57. For most utility companies this ratio is high when compared to many other industries because of the need for continual capital investment. The company said in its 2009 10-K filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission that "anticipated capital expenditures for 2010 through 2012 are approximately $2.4 billion." Stock Ratios Shares trade for 15.2 times earnings, which exceeds similarly-sized electric utilities (by market capitalization) including DPL Inc. (DPL) which trades for 11.8 times earnings and NV Energy (NVE), which has a P/E of 13.6. On the other hand, ITC Holdings (ITC) has a P/E of 21.6. Analyst Ratings Out of nine analysts covering Westar Energy, three rate the shares a buy, while six recommend investors hold the shares. With the stock returning 31% over the past 52 weeks, it's not surprising to see the shares close to the median 12-month target of $24.13 among analysts polled by Thomson Reuters, although TheStreet Ratings has a target price of $30.02.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV