By John Jagerson of InvestorPlace
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Trading short squeezes can be fun and the upside potential is huge. A short squeeze occurs when a poorly performing stock builds up a large percentage of traders holding the stock short. When short sellers expect stock to keep falling, they sell the stock by borrowing it from their broker, and then buy it back later for a cheaper price. A squeeze is triggered when the stock suddenly starts to rally and these short sellers have to buy back early to cover losses, which squeezes (increases) demand for the stock and can accelerate the stock's rise in price over the near term.
Traders can make a killing if they go long a short squeeze, but keep in mind that these stocks are held short for a reason. Keep your positions small and make sure you understand the risks of trading against the trend before you enter a trade like this. Here are five stocks we are watching for potential moves in the very near term.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV