5 Stocks Set to Rally in a Short Squeeze
By John Jagerson of
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Trading short squeezes can be fun and the upside potential is huge. A short squeeze occurs when a poorly performing stock builds up a large percentage of traders holding the stock short. When short sellers expect stock to keep falling, they sell the stock by borrowing it from their broker, and then buy it back later for a cheaper price. A squeeze is triggered when the stock suddenly starts to rally and these short sellers have to buy back early to cover losses, which squeezes (increases) demand for the stock and can accelerate the stock's rise in price over the near term.
Traders can make a killing if they go long a short squeeze, but keep in mind that these stocks are held short for a reason. Keep your positions small and make sure you understand the risks of trading against the trend before you enter a trade like this. Here are five stocks we are watching for potential moves in the very near term.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV