Terms and the status of the deal couldn't be learned, the Journal says.
TechCrunch, a high-profile blog out of Silicon Valley, often has been discussed as a possible acquisition target, the newspaper notes. It was founded in 2005.
AOL and TechCrunch held acquisition talks a few years ago, according to people familiar with the matter, and there is no guarantee a deal could take place this time.The latest round of talks, the Journal notes, comes as TechCrunch's founder, blogger Michael Arrington, has expressed his frustration with blogging and last year took a break from it. It also comes as online publishers have continued to question the profitability of Web news outlets like blogs, which rely heavily on advertising. A spokeswoman for TechCrunch declined to comment for the Journal, while a representative for AOL couldn't be reached for comment. -- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV