NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- ETFs focused on agricultural commodities were rising on Monday morning, as stocks paused for breath.
The UBS E-Tracs CMCI Agriculture TR ETN (UAG), which tracks an index consisting of 12 agriculture futures contracts, was up 6.5%. A sister ETF, UBS E Tracs Food ETN (FUD) was gaining 3.5%, while the iPath DJ-UBS Cotton TR ETN (BAL) was rising 2%.
Agricultural commodities are in demand as weather-related supply disturbances have sent prices of grains such as corn and wheat higher in the last few months.
Among equity ETFs, the Claymore/NYSE Arca Airline Index (FAA) was a major gainer, rising 4% after Southwest Airlines (LUV) agreed to acquire AirTran Holdings (AAI) for $1.4 billion. The ETF has a 13.7% exposure to Southwest Airlines, which was surging 9.6% on Monday forenoon trading.The Market Vectors gaming ETF (BJK) was also in focus following news on MGM Resort's (MGM) plans to list its Macau operations. Emerging market ETFs such as the Market Vectors Indonesia (IDX) and iShares S&P Latin America 40 ETF (ILF) dominated the equity ETF buy list, while utility ETFs such as Rydex Equal Weight Utilities (RYU) and First Trust Alphadex Utilities (FXU), up 0.3% each, were rising among domestic equities. -- Written by Shanthi Venkataraman in New York
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Shanthi Venkataraman. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/shavenk. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV