Gold for December delivery settled up 50 cents to $1,298.60 an ounce at the Comex division at the New York Mercantile Exchange. The gold price traded as high as $1,301.30 and as low as $1,295.80 on Monday.
The U.S. dollar index was losing 0.04% to $79.36 while the euro fell slightly to $1.34 vs. the dollar. The spot gold price Monday was down 70 cents, according to Kitco's gold index.
Record high gold prices were sparking some profit-taking and some tentative buying Monday as investors remained cautious over the global economy. Moody's downgraded Anglo Irish Bank's senior unsecured debt to one level above junk status which highlighted the fact that Ireland still has a lot of bailout money to issue as it tries to manage the nation's largest flailing bank.Traders are also shuffling their books as the third quarter comes to a close on Thursday. Some will need to ramp up their long gold positions to show they own the metal while others might need to sell gold to show a profit. "We anticipate further resistance short-term on a mix of profit-taking and option/technical selling," says James Moore, analyst at thebulliondesk.com in his daily metals report. "But with little change in the broader economic picture and investors concerned about further devaluing of fiat currencies we expect the bullish trend to continue."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV