NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Good Sunday afternoon and welcome to another edition of Weekend Reading. First a look back at the week that just finished, then a look forward to the week ahead and, lastly, a summary of articles and papers worth reading.
It was another good week for the major markets. For the week, the Dow gained 2.4%, the S&P 500 was up 2.1% and the Nasdaq climbed 2.8%. The S&P 500 index is now up an impressive 9.5% since the end of August, and if it holds (Reuters points out), it will be the best month for the index since March 2000, and the best September for U.S. equities since 1939!
Looking ahead to next week, however, sentiment is rapidly becoming unsustainably bullish, with good news seen as great news, with bad news being ignored and with a general sense that almost everything in technology is an M&A play. That may not signal the end of the current rally, but it does at least indicate that the rally has a "sell-by" date, and that date likely isn't too far away.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV