A value-investing guru, Berkowitz is greedy when others are fearful.
|Bruce Berkowitz of Fairholme Capital|
Fairholme Fund has delivered a 255% return since its 2000 inception, compared with a 15% loss for the S&P 500. Berkowitz has delivered outstanding results, in up and down years for the market, by holding a concentrated equity portfolio and a cash coffer, with about 20% of assets in short-maturity corporate debt and cash equivalents. Value-conscious Berkowitz concedes that timing is difficult, so he always has cash on hand to scoop up securities under duress.Fairholme's mantra: Ignore the crowd. At the end of the latest quarter, Berkowitz held 23 securities in his equity portfolio. Many of his value picks are laggards, such as AIG (AIG) and Sears Holdings (SHLD). View Berkowitz's Portfolio Here are 10 cheap, unloved stocks that Berkowitz owns. They've performed miserably over a three-year span and analysts mostly pan them. Still, they may have tremendous potential. The stocks are ordered by book-value multiple, from cheap to cheapest.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV