A value-investing guru, Berkowitz is greedy when others are fearful.
|Bruce Berkowitz of Fairholme Capital|
Fairholme Fund has delivered a 255% return since its 2000 inception, compared with a 15% loss for the S&P 500. Berkowitz has delivered outstanding results, in up and down years for the market, by holding a concentrated equity portfolio and a cash coffer, with about 20% of assets in short-maturity corporate debt and cash equivalents. Value-conscious Berkowitz concedes that timing is difficult, so he always has cash on hand to scoop up securities under duress.Fairholme's mantra: Ignore the crowd. At the end of the latest quarter, Berkowitz held 23 securities in his equity portfolio. Many of his value picks are laggards, such as AIG (AIG) and Sears Holdings (SHLD). View Berkowitz's Portfolio Here are 10 cheap, unloved stocks that Berkowitz owns. They've performed miserably over a three-year span and analysts mostly pan them. Still, they may have tremendous potential. The stocks are ordered by book-value multiple, from cheap to cheapest.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV