NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The telephony that's got me all excited today, in a small-business sort of way, isn't a cell phone. Or a smartphone. Or even a cordless phone. Believe it or not, it's a desk phone. That's right -- dumb, old desk phones for your small business are in something of a golden age.
While telecom heavies such as Cisco (CSCO), Avaya and Nortel (NT) push their pricey new video, telepresence and VoIP initiatives, almost without notice traditional two-line desk phones -- perfect for smaller shops -- have been piling on features, lowering prices and doing away with expensive middlemen and proprietary, so-called PBX digital telephone control units that populate most corporate offices.
These days, if you know where to look, you can order up a top-drawer desk phone, install it without help and get that big company business-phone feel for way less than the cost of even most cellular plans.
So if you are tired of trying to make money on that tired old phone in your spare bedroom, here are my picks for desk phones with small-business game:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV