Carl Icahn's Blockbuster Bet
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Carl Icahn made a big bet when, as reports claim, he invested in one-third of Blockbuster's (BLOKA.PK) debt. But what exactly does Icahn hope to gain from the once video giant gone bankrupt?
The big bet is that Blockbuster will be able to emerge from bankruptcy with nearly no debt and a significantly smaller store base, a more profitable company. And if Blockbuster can stay afloat and keep shuttering locations every year to drive cash flow, Icahn could make out nicely, Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter says.
The hope for Blockbuster is that by closing some locations, it will direct traffic to other stores. This will lower the company's operating expenses since Blockbuster won't have rent expenses, payroll or utilities for those locales.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV