NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Netflix (NFLX) announced on Friday that it will expand its licensing agreement with NBC, allowing users to stream prior televisions series from its cable and broadcast networks.
Netflix subscribers will be able to watch series like Saturday Night Live, Friday Night Lights, Monk and Battlestar Galactica, the company said.
This deal comes after rival and video giant Blockbuster (BLOKA.PK) filed for bankruptcy on Thursday. While the company insists it will continue to operate amid the restructuring, there's no doubt its store base will become significantly smaller, presenting a prime opportunity for Netflix to swoop in and pick up more market share.Earlier in the week Netflix hit a new high of $163.72 on fears of a Blockbuster bankruptcy. Netflix has been working over the last several months to expand its streaming content, first through a partnership with EPIX, a joint venture between Viacom (VIA), Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios and Lions Gate Entertainment (LFG) that could add up to 20,000 new titles to Netflix's streaming content. The company also rolled out an app for Apple's (AAPL) iPhone and iPod Touch this summer that allows users to stream content over the devices. --Written by Jeanine Poggi in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Jeanine Poggi. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jpoggi. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV