Gold for December delivery settled $1.80 higher at $1,298.10 an ounce at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange. The gold price traded as high as $1,301.60 and as low as $1,290.60 in Friday's session.
The U.S. dollar index was losing 0.93% to $79.37 while the euro rallied 1.18% to $1.34 vs. the dollar. The spot gold price Friday was adding $3.90, according to Kitco's gold index.
Gold prices broke $1,300 as a stronger euro pushed the U.S. dollar lower. The euro was rallying after a better-than-expected second-quarter gross domestic product reading from France and a positive business confidence number out of Germany.Gold is priced in dollars so a weaker dollar makes gold cheaper to buy in other currencies. Also a devalued dollar makes gold more appealing as a safe-haven investment. Gold got additional support from a disappointing August U.S. new-home sales report. The expectation for the past week among gold analysts was that speculative fund buying was going to push gold past $1,300. Although the number looks sexy, in the end it's just a number.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV