Thursday's market mischief was entirely machine driven as programmers must have lower gap opens programmed to buy while any negative news from Europe is programmed to sell. Honestly I think it's that simple.
The weekly charts so often posted here for the major indexes still have the lingering bearish H&S tops. But, they're quite long in the tooth now and are losing their validity if only because markets didn't crater. A trading range environment is all this pattern has yielded thus far. The Fed's policies of near zero interest rates and POMO have kept markets propped as investors have few investment choices except bonds, Apple and precious metals. Bonds with negligible yield aren't much more attractive than cash at the moment. But investors are a yield hungry group and prone to take risk taking on the notion they'll get their principal back eventually. This is a bad situation.
Durable Goods and New Home Sales are on tap for Friday as we near the end of September.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV