CUPERTINO, Calif. ( TheStreet) -- With $46 billion in cash and investments and no apparent plans to pay a dividend, Apple (AAPL) has a war chest that most companies can only dream of. Could Apple boost its presence in the enterprise by buying Cisco (CSCO) , EMC (EMC) or even Dell (DELL)?
Compared to other Silicon Valley heavyweights such as IBM (IBM), Hewlett-Packard (HPQ) and Microsoft (MSFT), Apple has done relatively little M&A. Its most notable recent deals include the buying of Quattro Wireless and P.A. Semi.Now, however, some analysts are calling for Apple to dig a little deeper in enterprise infrastructure and software. "I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a play for a cloud-based company, a middleware company, or a hardware company that would let them play in the enterprise," said Achramowicz. "With this kind of war chest they could make a big, big, play." Achramowicz also likes Dell, although its market cap of about $24 billion makes it an expensive buy and it would pose a massive integration headache for Apple: "
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV