What's Next for Blockbuster?
After struggling with the same issues as Blockbuster, i.e. digital technology stealing market share, Movie Gallery was forced into Ch. 11 filing in February 2010. At the time Movie Gallery also said that it would continue to operate while in bankruptcy, and continue to pay employee salaries and benefits, honor customer gift cards and store credits, and pay vendors.
Then two months later, on April 30, 2010, Movie Gallery announced it was closing and liquidating all of its stores per a Ch. 7 bankruptcy filing. Of course, that was the second bankruptcy filing for Movie Gallery in a three year period.
While Blockbuster may have more clout that Movie Gallery's Hollywood Video, this last scenario isn't entirely impossible.
What do you think, will Blockbuster be able to emerge a stronger company or fall into oblivion? Take our poll below, and see what TheStreet thinks....
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Jeanine Poggi. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jpoggi. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV