Merger and acquisition activity in the gold mining community is nothing new, but has definitely picked up steam in the past few years as gold prices soared past $1,000 an ounce. Most recently Goldcorp (GG) and Kinross Gold (KGC) bought Andean Resources and Red Back for $3.4 billion and $7.1 billion, respectively.
Although the purchases represented hefty premiums, the large gold companies were forced to replenish their resources as gold demand skyrocketed and supply waned. The above-ground supply of gold has slowly shrunk since 2001, leaving gold producers in a bind.
According to the World Gold Council, mine supply increased only 3% in the second quarter of 2010 while total gold demand rose 36%. The more gold a company produces, the more replacement gold it has to find, and organic growth on a big scale is hard to come by. It can also take 10 years to discover a mine and take it into production, so for a quick fix large companies have to turn to acquisitions."The big companies need to replace ounces, and they're only going to do that through acquisitions," argues Mark Bailey, CEO of Minefinders (MFN). "They don't have the patience to go out and make a grass-roots discovery. ... The big sized companies will have to acquire, the mid-sized companies will have to acquire ...
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV