Semiconductor ETFs were also falling steeply in overall tech weakness. SPDR S&P Semiconductors ETF (XSD) was sliding 2.2% to $42.87.
Gold and treasury ETFs were in favor on Thursday as traders poured money into safe havens amid a weaker dollar. Market Vectors Gold Miners ETF (GDX) was rising 0.7% to $56.05. Other precious metals were also rising, with the ETFS Physical Palladium Shares (PALL) also rising 1.3%.Base metals were also stronger, with the Global X Copper Miners (COPX) rising 1.5% and the Emerging Global's Emerging Market Metals and Mining Titans (EMT) rising 1.3%. More signs of defensive buying were evident in the performance of utility ETFs. The iShares Dow Jones Utility ETF was up 0.6%. -- Written by Shanthi Venkataraman in New York
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Shanthi Venkataraman. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/shavenk. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV