New York (TheStreet)-- Believe it or not, the hottest cars aren't the most frequently stolen vehicles.
The National Insurance Crime Bureau said earlier this week the most frequently stolen vehicle was the 1994 Honda ( HMC) Accord (pictured above).
The Honda Accord was the most stolen in several states including: New York, Minnesota, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Arizona, Kansas, Georgia, Nevada Colorado, Virginia, Washington, South Carolina, Connecticut, North Carolina and California.So far this year 97,655 vehicles have been stolen and not recovered. In 2009, 794,616 vehicles were stolen, down from 956,846 in 2008, according to the NICB report. Most of the cars that were not recovered are believed to have ended up in chop shops and sold for parts. Joe Wehrle, NICB president and CEO, estimates 38 percent of the vehicles stolen this year had some kind of insurance coverage. Insurers such as Allstate (ALL) , The Hartford (HIG), Progressive (PGR) , Nationwide (NFS) and Travelers ( TRV) are some of the most popular auto insurance providers. Check out the rest of the Top 10 ...
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV