Blockbuster Nears Bankruptcy
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) --
Blockbuster (BLOKA.PK) may soon be put out of its misery.
According to The Wall Street Journal, a Chapter 11 filing could come any day this week.
The company is in its final stages of preparing the filing, which could arrive as soon as today but most likely Friday or next week, the Journal reported.The article also notes that Blockbuster will try to continue operations but will shutter 500 to 800 more stores on top of the 1,000 it was already planning to close. The one-time king of video rentals has steadily lost market share to Netflix (NFLX), as well as Coinstar's (CSTR) Redbox kiosks, and has been trying to play catchup in the digital world. Blockbuster is saddled with nearly $1 billion in debt and is scheduled to repay $42 million to creditors on Sept. 30. The company has already pushed back the payment twice. Shares of Blockbuster are plunging 23% to 6 cents on over-the-counter trading. But Netflix stock is surging on the news up 4.8% to a new high of $154.22. Reports also surfaced last week that billionaire investor Carl Icahn holds about one-third of senior debt, which would give him veto power in any restructuring plans. --Written by Jeanine Poggi in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Jeanine Poggi. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jpoggi. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV